My original plan was to just bake a Apple Spice sheet cake and top it with a simple caramel glaze, so I didn’t start until the evening before the cake was due. After I dropped the cake on the kitchen floor when I tried to turn it out of the pan (which took considerable manual dexterity and the cooperation of three people), I inexplicably decided that instead of making a simple glazed cake, I needed to make a decorated layer cake, using a new recipe and at least one technique I’d never tried before.
Since it was a bit of a rush job, I used the quicker to make House Buttercream Recipe from The Whimsical Bakehouse. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed in the icing. Finding myself completely unable to get the base coat smooth, I opted for the kind of all-over design that hides a multitude of faults.
Although I had never tried to make ribbon roses from fondant before, that was the one thing about this project that proved easy. I scrambled around in the kitchen before and after church on Sunday and finished just before we had to leave for the party.